[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "David Trejo" <wheaties at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  check out the captive portal that I setup in my spare time....
 Date:  Sun, 9 Apr 2006 22:12:30 -0400
Captive portal ROCKS:

Basically I spent first half of the day bored out of my mind when I decided
to pull out an old access point I had in the closet.

The point is, I created a captive portal using an access point and my
m0n0wall router.
The end result is, by my low standards anyways, a very nice and sleek
hotspot implementation.

I must say that setting it all up was a PITA. What you will see in the vide=
will be:

-universal browser support
-forced redirect to the AUP page
-frankly, a decent looking AUP page stating the rules and my intentions.
-forced redirect from the AUP page to an intranet site that is hosting a lo=

of OSS locally
-bandwidth throttling of 56kit/s up/128kbit/s down on the internet (ex.
service pack 2)
-bandwidth throttling of about 3Mbps+ down on the intranet (ex. open office=
)

*The video ( 12.8MB)* <http://myhsr.com/storage/video/captive%20portal.avi>

What you won't see is the menagerie of rules and traffic shaping rules and
more that allow my network to be accessed for that open source software and
for internet access, and nothing more. Hell, you can't even ping the damn
host without my permission

That said, I haven't even started using basic user authentication (this is
meant to be a free neighborhood hotspot intent on promoting OSS ), much les=
radius, but I will get there:D

If anyone has any questions, comments, problems, feel free to respond.

Enjoy!