[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Alain Fauconnet <alain at ait dot ac dot th>
 To:  jan gestre <m0n0wall dot list at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>, MonoWall-General List <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] how do i block a particular client internet access
 Date:  Mon, 10 Apr 2006 13:02:06 +0700
Jan,

On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 01:29:38PM +0800, jan gestre wrote:
> On 4/10/06, Alain Fauconnet <alain at ait dot ac dot th> wrote:
> >
> > Chris,

> > > IPfilter does the firewalling in m0n0wall, not ipfw.  ipfw is only for
> > > traffic shaper and captive portal.  Using it for filtering can have
> > > unintended consequences, but since you're just doing a deny, that
> > > shouldn't be a problem.
> >
> > Thanks for the info. Actually I had overlooked the fact that Jan does
> > *not* use the captive portal at all, as he wrote. Will such rules be
> > even considered in this case or not?
> >
> > most of my users are old and stupid

Hey! are we working at the same place or what? ;-)

> and i don't want to be bothered by so
> many questions like why do i have to do that...blah blah blah, i am already
> hampered with the day to day desktop support so why add another
> burden?

Don't misunderstand what I wrote. I'm not questioning why you want to
do this and why you'd do it one way or another. What I wrote is that
these custom ifpw rules worked for me, but I have the captive portal
turned on and since they are added to the rule set that is used by the
captive portal, I'm not sure they will work on a M0n0wall with captive
portal not turned on.

Why don't you give them a try?

> hehehe. since im no guru, i  just want a simple and immediate solution.
> i also want to trace this specific user whose mac address and dhcp lease on
> the monowall seems strange.
>      MAC                                         Start
> End
> 00:ab:00:00:00:00                  2006/04/10 10:31:35           1970/01/01
> 07:59:59

No clue here. I don't use the built-in DHCP server, just the
forwarder.

Is this the real MAC address that shows or have you sanitized it?
looks to me like a faked MAC... if you users play that kind of games,
we sure are working at the same place :-)

Greets,
_Alain_