[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "C. Andrew Zook" <andrewzook at pdqlocks dot com>
 To:  Paul Taylor <PaulTaylor at winn dash dixie dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Does Traffic Shaper Suck??
 Date:  Mon, 10 Apr 2006 12:33:48 -0400
I have a 1.5Mbit connection - total speed. This speed includes upload
and download (the ISP has them auto-adjust).

I have a WRAP board with 1.22 on it, and I have 5 remote locations.

I have VPN tunnels set up b/w these remote locations that all total only
transfer 200mb per day.

I am trying to shape the traffic at each location so that random web
surfing does not kill my vpn connections.

I have a Debian server with Smokeping setup to monitor ping times across
the VPN tunnels to the other m0n0walls.

I can't make it work using the default rules. Anything I try just makes
the latency go through the roof, and I get a lot of dropped packets
(even in peroids of low usage like the middle of the night)!

I have tried to find actual speeds by running some speed tests, and I
have limited my speeds to something well below (even up to half) of
those results!

My latest attempt was Traffic shaper enabled with default rules,
500Kbit/s incoming, 350Kbit/s outgoing.

Help me!

Andy