[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "C. Andrew Zook" <andrewzook at pdqlocks dot com>
 To:  Paul Taylor <PaulTaylor at winn dash dixie dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Does Traffic Shaper Suck??
 Date:  Mon, 10 Apr 2006 13:54:31 -0400
> 1.5 Mbps auto-adjust?  I'm not familiar with that.  What service provider
> offers this?  (A link to service info page would be helpful.
>
> I would think that by limiting both the uplink and downlink speeds to about
> 1/2 of the overall bandwidth, it would probably work, since the ISP wouldn't
> be adjusting anything.  (Though it sounds like you've already tried this)

Yes, you are correct about the bandwidth - except I don't think the
upload is 500 Mbps ;-P

Yes, I did try splitting it in half, and I tried using much lower values
(500Kbit/s incoming, 350Kbit/s outgoing) as well.

My provider is a local company that pretty much only services this town.
Additionally, our link is wireless if that matters for some reason.

> Could this be related to MTU size through the VPN tunnel?
I don't have a clue, nor do I know how to find this out! I have tried
lowering the MTU size of the WAN link based on something I had read, but
it made no difference that I could tell.

Thanks for the suggestions,
Andy