[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Aaron Clint" <amclint at webmystyle dot com>
 To:  <andrewzook at pdqlocks dot com>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Does Traffic Shaper Suck??
 Date:  Mon, 10 Apr 2006 12:25:56 -0600
Having worked with DSL for many years I can tell you ADSL technology
doesn't do any sort of auto-adjusting. However some providers offer SDSL
that is essentially a T-1 in that the upload and download speeds are the
same, at some cost in overhead to the provider as they cannot
over-subscribe the lines as they do on ADSL. I agree with Jeff here, it
sounds like your upload is most likely slower than your download and you
probably getting a lot backed up in your queues as a result. One easy
way to tell is to go to a speed test site, I use speakeasy as they have
DS3 connections on most of these testing links.
http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/, just pick the location closest to
you and it will tell you within 5-10% what your upload and download
rates are.

Oh, and when you do the speedtest you'll want to turn off your traffic
shaping.

Aaron Clint
Webmystyle
888-999-4535