[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Michael Iedema" <iedemam at pluto dot dsu dot edu>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  shaping traffic on optional interfaces
 Date:  Wed, 21 Jan 2004 16:00:04 -0600
I have a wireless link which I would like to shape with my main router
as it has a bit more power than the 4511 on top of my house.  Here is
the procedure I followed with no results on traffic.  Thanks in advance
to anyone who spots my error.

1. Assign Interface xl1 to OPT1 & Rename to Rooftop Wireless (reboot)
2. Diagnostics -> Advanced -> Enable Filter Bridge (apply)

* at this point traffic still passes through the interface fine leading
me to believe it is not actually being pulled into m0n0wall and is
simply being passed over the LAN-OPT1 bridge.

3. Add a filter rule to allow any type of traffic from LAN to OPT1
4. Create a new pipe of 2000Kbits with adding 100ms delay for testing
purposes
5. Add a new shaping rule forcing any traffic on the OPT1 to be put
through my newly created pipe

After this was complete I examined the ping session I had with the
remote side noticing that the pings has remained a steady 8ms.  After a
quick firewall reboot (just incase) the results were the same.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
--Michael I.