[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] monowall as advanced router
 Date:  Fri, 23 Jan 2004 18:20:17 +1000
Hi Serge,

On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 05:01, Serge Leschinsky wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Would you like to help me to resolve this with monowall?
>
> I have a box with 4 NICs: NIC1 and NIC2 - are links to upstream, NIC3
> - LAN, NIC4 - DMZ. Also I have a quite difficult routing policy (3
> different net are forwarded to DMZ, load balancing is on upstream
> links, there are few tunnels to other hosts, there is a source based
> prioritized routing) which was realized on linux box with iproute2 and
> iptables packages.
>
>  Has monowall a possibility to create and edit route table? So, can I
> use monowall as advanced router?

As far as I can tell, m0n0wall currently only supports 3 physical NICs.
However, with its boost in popularity of late, I would like to see
things like this get addressed.  Multiple NIC support is a great
feature, as is load balancing with upstream DSL links using multiple WAN
NICs (such as 2 * ADSL suppliers, or 1 * ADSL + 1 * X.21 Frame).

As for iproute2 and source routing, this is EXTREMELY powerful, allowing
very complex networks to be configured with relatively few routing
rules.  It also removes much of the need for the old "route" command.
:)

I have a mate who knows iproute2 rather well, and showed me a lot of the
power behind this command.  I was suitable impressed.  :)

As for m0n0wall, I don't know if BSD has a routing command as powerful
as iproute2 on Linux, but If it does, I for one (well, two - after you)
would really like to know about it.

--

Regards,

Hilton Travis                   Email: Hilton at QuarkAV dot com
         Quark Computers        Phone: +61-(0)419-792-394
(Brisbane, Australia)            http://www.QuarkAV.com/

				http://www.mamboband.org/