[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dick Morrell <dick at dickmorrell dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall feature request
 Date:  Fri, 23 Jan 2004 12:29:53 +0000
> For my money, if someone is using Open Source stuff then they should be prepared to follow what is
happening within the community (and give back to it, like the good beginners guide that Michael A.
Alderete has written, and made available)

> If you want the software maintainer to announce patches, upgrades etc, then pay them for it and
they should be only too happy to send you mail alerts, phone you whatever you want.
> In the firewall market there exists people like Cisco (PIX), Checkpoint (FW1) etc, who would be
MORE than happy to tell you all about their fine upgrades etc, once you have been separated from
your cash
> </RANT>

Also Mike go install SW and IPCop or a number of other firewall
solutions which prompt the user to refresh an update list. In SW its a
CGI that goes away and does a remote lookup to see if there is an update
other than those installed. Your response to a generic simple software
call was actually pretty silly.

Its common sense to put it in the GUI because generically that IS your
view to the world. EMail alerts are cool but no-one uses them and its a
pants 1990's way of working - simple little php script that does a
lookup to a remote host. Not difficult stuff.