[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall feature request
 Date:  Fri, 23 Jan 2004 23:39:27 +1000
Hi Mark,

You and Dick are in the same ballpark that Mike seems unable to gain
access to.  The game's not hard - the rules are quite simple.

Mike, when and where did I ask for a personal email or phone call about
an upgrade?  I mean, what on Earth are you smoking?  I'd recommend
whatever it is, you start thinking about laying off it.

I asked that for the m0n0wall community - not Hilton Travis - an
"Updates Available" section in the webGUI would be a good idea.  You
don't think so - that's fine.  You can keep reading through the email
list looking for information on that security update.  I imagine a great
majotity of users would rather find this out directly from the webGUI.

If you want to start reading through every one on my 1000+ emails per
day, then pull up a chair, make a cuppa, and get settled in for the long
haul.  I sure as hell don't have the time to read each and every email I
receive daily to the mailing lists I am subscribed to.

As another person who manages multiple firewalls, being informed via the
webGUI is an ideal, sensible and appropriate place to be informed.  Many
other products do this - and if you want to waste $20,000 or so on a
PIX/Checkpoint solution, then be my guest.

Regards,
HiltonT

On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 22:49, Mark Spieth wrote:
> I would have to agree, Fist off, If you are dealing with an opensource
> project such as m0n0wall, IPCop etc.. and are on the mailing list you
> will get an email via the list already when there are updates etc.. And
> secondly personally, I know for a fact that any such emails for me would
> get sorted into a folder and never looked at... The last thing I want is
> another email. I manage 200+ firewalls for clients, so at least once a
> day I am on the GUI to administer them, If I see an update then on the
> GUI then I can determine if I need to spend the rest of the day
> installing updates on the rest of the firewalls.

Regards,

Hilton Travis                   Email: Hilton at QuarkAV dot com
         Quark Computers        Phone: +61-(0)419-792-394
(Brisbane, Australia)            http://www.QuarkAV.com/

				http://www.mamboband.org/