[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall feature request
 Date:  Fri, 23 Jan 2004 23:43:40 +1000
On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 22:06, EXT dash Mike dot Bradshaw at nokia dot com wrote:
> > There are a few things I'd like to see on m0n0wall - as Dick
> > has already
> > mentioned, a shutdown and reboot button would be nice.
>
> reboot is already there (diagnostics, Reboot system)
> i agree shutdown would also be nice

Sure would.

> > As would the ability to log out of the console and have it wait for a
> > login - it doesn't appear secure when it is constantly
> > sitting there on a logged in account.
> >

> if someone has physical access to your Firewall console you are pretty much screwed right there.
> a simple console login is *SO* easy to defeat that it just not funny (if you have physical access)
> Personally i think that the fact you ONLY have the m0n0 menu on the console, no tty, no shell etc
makes it MORE secure

I will never disagree that a malicious user who has physical access to
your servers and other critical machinery/data has already done the
damage.  I do, still, maintain that a logged-in, non-password protected
security device looks bad, and - in reality - is not as secure as it
could otherwise be.

> > Also, some way that the user could be notified of available updates
> > would be nice.
> > This way they would know if security or functionality
> > updates are available as and when they are released.  Currently, the
> > users need to be subscribed to the Accounce mailing list, or happen
> > across an update on their occasional visit to the website.
>
> and the problem with the Announce mailing list is?

Damned obvious for those who don't play with just a single firewall, and
don't receive anywhere near the email quantity that a lot of people do.

> <RANT>
<snip>
> </RANT>
>
> I guess if you give Manuel enough money, he will email/phone you individually whenever a
patch/upgrade comes out :)

This irrelevant and out of thin air diatribe is addressed elsewhere.

--

Regards,

Hilton Travis                   Email: Hilton at QuarkAV dot com
         Quark Computers        Phone: +61-(0)419-792-394
(Brisbane, Australia)            http://www.QuarkAV.com/

				http://www.mamboband.org/