[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  EXT dash Mike dot Bradshaw at nokia dot com
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall feature request
 Date:  Fri, 23 Jan 2004 16:17:54 +0100
EXT dash Mike dot Bradshaw at nokia dot com wrote:

> reboot is already there (diagnostics, Reboot system) i agree shutdown
> would also be nice

No need for that - just pull the plug (or flip the switch).

> if someone has physical access to your Firewall console you are
> pretty much screwed right there. a simple console login is *SO* easy
> to defeat that it just not funny (if you have physical access)

That is my point of view as well, but as this has come up enough times
to get me bored, I'll just add a checkbox to the advanced setup page
that allows you to disable the console menu altogether. I'm not going to
bother about adding a login, though. The console menu is superfluous
after initial setup anyway because the interfaces can now be assigned
via the webGUI too. Of course if you forget the password you're in for a
"hard reset", but isn't that what you do with commercial firewall boxes
too...

> and the problem with the Announce mailing list is?

I don't see one either because there's no more than one message per
week, but I'll consider adding some automatic update check (no automatic
download though) to the firmware upgrade page. BTW it's being remade
at the moment anyway - FTP upload will be gone soon, replaced by HTTP
upload which finally works fine as well.

- Manuel