[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] frequent PPPoE disconnects
 Date:  Mon, 10 Apr 2006 23:25:52 -0500
From: "Andrew Kemp" <akemp at iquest dot net>

I am going to give the steps I would take to isolate this.  However, keep in
mind that my steps are dictated by the equipment I have readily accessable.

> here is the status file when the link goes dead on me. see anything weird?
> i sure hope so, im at my wits end. although this morning, the modem also
> had to be rebooted to get the link to come back. im about to cancel this
> dsl trash and get a t1 or something.
> http://indystars.org/status-dead
>
> the old status when working, for reference
> http://indystars.org/status

I love the naming convention. :-)  However, the <cr> thing makes a simple
diff not work. But the basic info seems to be that suddenly it stops, and
does not come back.

The first thing I would do is grab another box and build another firewall.
Flash the current image to the drive directly. (Not an upgrade)  And rebuild
the config by hand.  (Do not upload it)  Leave off the traffic shaping for
now.  Keep it as simple as possible.  Some nics just do not get along with
some nics.  That change may do it.  Or it could be an upgraded rule that
didn't agree...  Or it could be a hiccough in traffic shaping.  Start from
scratch, and build up to the same config.  If it works on new hardware, you
have a good hint on your problem.  If it breaks when you add a specific
rule, you know what happened as well.

                        Lee