I have been monitoring Smokeping graphs of the ping times to Tunnels at
my 5 remote locations, and I have noticed that my Phase 2 key
negotiations correspond to times on the Smokeping graph where I have had
high latency and dropped packets (for periods of up to 15 minutes!!).
When I try to use my connection during one of these times, I find that
it is completely unusable! Either the connection is completely drowned
out, or the CPU usage is too much for my poor little WRAP board. I can't
seem to get a handle on what is happening!
When I look in the logs, the Phase 2 negotiation takes up at least 3/4
of the log page for one negotiation, and it seems rather repetitive, but
it does not list any errors.
I have done the obvious thing for now and set the Phase 2 lifetime much
higher (it was at 4 hours, now matches the phase 1 lifetime at 24 hours).
As a background, I have one central location with a static IP. All of
the other locations have a dynamic IP and are set up as mobile clients.
I am using aggressive mode for negotiation.
Thanks for any tips!