[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] ip alias on WAN not recommended
 Date:  Wed, 12 Apr 2006 13:09:23 -0400
On 4/12/06, Raylund Lai <raylund dot lai at kankanwoo dot com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is ip alias on WAN not recommended (on the online doc)?  Could I know
> the reason?

Because there is no need to do so, under normal operating
circumstances.  Proxy ARP covers that.

But, if your ISP needs an IP to ping, or something of that nature, you
can enter an IP alias via exec.php.  Just run 'ifconfig fxp0 inet
a.b.c.d netmask 255.255.x.x alias', replacing fxp0 with your WAN
interface name, a.b.c.d with the IP address, and 255.255.x.x with the
real subnet mask.  I would only recommend this on a temporary basis,
and that will be lost on reboot.

-Chris