[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  "Monowall Email List" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] DNS problem on 1.21
 Date:  Wed, 12 Apr 2006 21:24:24 -0400
On 4/12/06, Alex Neuman van der Hans <alex at nkpanama dot com> wrote:

> I'd lower the MTU across the board just the same. Windows just plain
> works better when you do, at least in my own empirical and unscientific
> tests.

I'd try lowering the MTU and see if it has any effect.  I doubt that
it makes things work any better in general though.

It can have a negative performance impact under some circumstances,
because you need more packets to transmit the same amount of data if
the transfer requires packets bigger than your MTU.  How much of a
difference it makes, if any, will depend on the CPU resources
available, type of NIC's in use, network speed, and characteristics of
your network traffic, amongst other variables.  In most networks I've
monitored, the percentage of total packets > 1400 bytes is in the
single digits.  In 100 Mb networks with 1+ GHz processors, chances are
you won't notice the difference between 1400 and 1500, and it might
not even be much of a measurable difference.

-Chris