[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  dny <mail2dny at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] captive portal and wireless repeater (wds) problem
 Date:  Thu, 13 Apr 2006 17:15:10 +0700
On 4/8/06, Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org> wrote:
> From: "dny" <mail2dny at gmail dot com>
>
> > i'm pretty sure it didnt do any natting.
> > and these facts support my believe:
> > - all wireless clients can ping each other, and firewall can ping to
> > all clients, regardless which ap/repeater they connect to.
> > - all clients can ping to firewall
> > - all ip is in same network/subnet and retrieved by dhcp from firewall
> > - the firewall settings already disabled from all wireless ap/repeater gui
> > - windows network neighbourhood can see all computers, regardless
> > which ap/repeater they connect to.
>
> > all my wireless is linksys wrt54g flashed with ddwrt firmware.
>
> If you can, flash to Tofu.  It does the client connection better...  And WDS
> may not be properly proxying your MAC address, which would cause this
> problem.  Try setting one in client mode, and connect to the ethernet port.
> If it works, it is a WDS thing.
>
>                         Lee

so, in my case, there's no way i can use captive portal??

did you tried tofu firmware with wds? can it really works?
i really cant try it yet, since all my wrt54g unit is in use.....

also, another problem with captive portal.....

it seems that captive portal lock the login with mac address.

so, when A connect and login correctly, and then didnt logout but just
turn off the pc.
then B steal the A's mac address and then he can use the internet without login.

so, imho, it's better use other method perhaps cookies or something
else to identify the real computer instead of using mac address.

rgds,
dny

--

--- http://bloglines.com/public/bacaan --- harini udah baca blom?

... they look but do not see and hear but do not listen or understand. Mat 13:13
... but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.   Mat 15:11