[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Don Munyak" <don dot munyak at gmail dot com>
 To:  Tortise <tortise at paradise dot net dot nz>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] CD Boot Problem
 Date:  Fri, 14 Apr 2006 08:22:56 -0400
On 4/13/06, Tortise <tortise at paradise dot net dot nz> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a Pentium 166 box (96M RAM) which I cannot get to boot from the m0n0wall CD, for the life
of me, having tried burning the CD
> closed and at the slowest speed available to me.
>
> The BIOS is supposed to boot from CD's and does try but hangs.
>
> I have failed to get later BIOS installed for the Motherboard, although tried extensively.  Seems
I cannot source the right version
> of awdflash.exe?!   (Soyo motherboard 5TF)
>
> My question and suggestion is whether it could be done or has been done to make the floppy disc
boot into CD's in these
> circumstances AND contain the config XML?
>
> In anticipation many thanks.
>
> Kind regards
> David Hingston
> Chequers Software
> New Zealand Developers of Productivity Software
> http://www.cheqsoft.com

Questions...

1. I'll assume that you've downloaded the correct image to your local
harddrive. Has your next step been to use something like Nero and burn
and ISO image, or are you just burning the file to CD?

2. Have you tried to boot from another "live" distro to see if maybe
this is a hardware issue? If not, check out www.distrowatch.org and
grab something minimal. Again, I am assuming you are creating an ISO
image to burn to CD.

> My question and suggestion is whether it could be done or has been done to make the floppy disc
boot into CD's in these
circumstances AND contain the config XML?

I 'beleive' this has been done, but I all changes made to a running
system are lost upon reboot or power failure. Basically, the disk is
read-only. Can your system boot from USB.

Have you thought about compact flash. You can get a cheap CF-to-IDE
adapter from ebay pretty cheap($10 US). Also, the CF can be bought
from crucial.com for about $18 US for 128mb.

~Don