[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] DynDNS abuse
 Date:  Sat, 15 Apr 2006 23:33:27 -0400
On 4/15/06, Larry Gadea <trivex at gmail dot com> wrote:
> As with anyone setting up a firewall, I need to try multiple options
> and such and often found myself rebooting my m0n0wall computer many
> times. I use m0n0wall to update my DynDNS account. Today, I received
> an email from DynDNS claiming that I am abusing their servers by
> updating too much. I understand the reason, but shouldn't there be
> some kind of minimum update time? Perhaps a future version of m0n0wall
> should contain a fix to not allow updates to be too frequent, even if
> you're rebooting a lot.

The only file m0n0wall holds across reboots, other than the config, is
the dyndns cache file.  For precisely this reason, to avoid updating
too frequently.  If your public IP changes at every reboot, though,
which is common with many providers, it's going to register
regardless.  My guess is that's what is happening.  If your public IP
really is changing that much, it has to register those changes.

-Chris