[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Aaron Cherman" <aaronc at morad dot ab dot ca>
 To:  "Monowall Support List" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Bloking NetBios
 Date:  Sun, 16 Apr 2006 16:12:14 -0600

> If 3100 is unplugged nothing happens... My Network Commuters are
> inaccessible...   Is that possible that they "force" some how packages to
> go
> through the router even though the switch is present?

 No.  If the computers are trying to access another that is on the same
subnet (ie 192.168.1.1/24) the packets will never go to the router/gateway.
The packets will only go there if they are a) specifically addressed to the
router, or b) the packets are destined for an address outside of the local
subnet.

By the ports you mentioned I assume you are using Windows.  It is possible
to disable the "Client for Microsoft Networks" for those NICs on the LAN -
once that is done they will not send out or respond to those packets.  I
will also assume that if you use a crossover cable and put the machines
back-to-back they will not see each other, chances are, then, that Client
for Microsoft Networks is not enabled, possibly File and Print Sharing (?).

Aaron