[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Tortise <tortise at paradise dot net dot nz>
 To:  Don Munyak <don dot munyak at gmail dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] CD Boot Problem
 Date:  Mon, 17 Apr 2006 11:15:52 +1200
Hi Don

Firstly thanks for your reply.

Yes I have used Nero to burn the ISO images, also selected the option to close the CD and also
burned at the slowest speed
available, (8x!) as per some suggestions I noted on the list.

I've tested CD discs: Monowall vers 1.11, 1.2 and 1.22, which incidentally boot fine on other
machines.

I will try swapping the CD Reader Drive (ASUS 40x) on the Pentium 166 to be sure its not a CD
hardware issue, but I doubt it is.

The CF option you refer to is a good idea, I was however concerned that if I have a CDROM BIOS issue
then I might also have a CF IDE
BIOS issue!?

Are the CF BIOS IDE drives pretty universally connectable?

The Motherboard does not have native USB sockets, however I do have some USB cards, so I can add one
and....?  Presumably you are
suggesting it may be possible to boot from a USB CF card?

Re: "I 'believe' this has been done, but I all changes made to a running system are lost upon reboot
or power failure. Basically,
the disk is read-only. "

I am not sure I understand this.  My understanding is the only thing that needs not be "read only"
is the XML config file, and if
there were room on a floppy disc to set up the CD ROM to boot as well as store the Settings XML then
this might be a good option for
(presumably) many other people with similar setups that won't natively boot the CD ROM's for
whatever reason.....

Kind regards
David Hingston
Chequers Software