[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] CD Boot Problem
 Date:  Mon, 17 Apr 2006 08:29:20 -0500
Tortise wrote:
> The CF option you refer to is a good idea, I was however concerned
> that if I have a CDROM BIOS issue then I might also have a CF IDE
> BIOS issue!?
>
> Are the CF BIOS IDE drives pretty universally connectable?

CF is IDE + power. Similar to laptop HDs. Most IDE CF adaptors I have
seen have a 40 pin IDE connector, a CF connector and a power connector.
The only additional circuitry is for power regulation (a couple of
capacitors and a resistor). The traces from the IDE connector go to the
CF connector. The traces from the power (floppy or HD molex) connect to
the CF connector (with the mentioned electronic components).

James W. McKeand