[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  Anders Hagman <anders dot hagman at netplex dot se>
 To:  Monowall Support List <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Bloking NetBios
 Date:  Tue, 18 Apr 2006 10:15:54 +0200

Alex M skrev:

>Just tested it... with 3100... 2 desktops go to switch and go to "private"
>port on 3100, none of them can see each other after I renewed the IP... and
>both of them are on the same subnet
The main  purpose of the private port is not to isolate users from each
other, but to isolate them from user on the public side.
Have you tested a simple ping between users connected to a common switch
connected to the private port, and of course with XP firewall off.

The functionality you describe is called "mac forced forwarding" and is
implemented in a switch to force arp requests to the router (firewall).