[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chet Harvey <chet at pittech dot com>
 To:  Kevin Tollison <kevin at kwtassoc dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Rsync over SSH to Internal Server
 Date:  Tue, 18 Apr 2006 13:56:10 -0400
hmmm...

Did you use "inbound nat" or one of the other tabs such as Sever:NAT or 1:1?

My m0n0 is set to the tab that says "Inbound" and the rule looks like this:

 WAN  	 TCP  	 22 (SSH)  	 192.168.x.x  	 22 (SSH)  	 Proxy

I did auto add a firewall rule then went and changed the rule to read:

 TCP  	 x.x.x.x  	 *  	 192.168.x.x  	 22 (SSH)  	 NAT Proxy

And with this I can access my NAT'd SSH only from the address I specified. In
this case it is work.

My questions for is if you are running SSH over rsync why would you need port
873 open on the firewall? I bet if you check your logs there will be a lot of drops.

IMHO you have two ways to do this "securely". The first is to simple set up a
static IPSec tunnel between the m0n0's. That way you don't need to change
anything and your data is encrypted.

The second way is to use stunnel on each server and redirect rsync in an
encrypted tunnel between points. This options takes a little load off your m0n0.

Chet