[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Dallas Freeman" <dallasfreeman at hotmail dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  System Setup
 Date:  Wed, 19 Apr 2006 22:15:54 +1000
Hey,

I'm looking into using the m0n0wall for use at work and home, though I
haven't been able to pick up the system/computer that is running m0n0wall.

Currently (at home and work) I have Cable Internet coming into a router
which is then connected to a switch and then to all of my computers.  That
is what I have to work with.  I've tried disconnecting the router and
connecting just the switch to the m0n0wall system but nothing happened, no
computers could pick it up and I forced IP addresses of 192.168.1.20 and up.
The IP start address was set to 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.250 with subnet
mask set to 24.

The system that is running m0n0wall is just a Pentium III 550 MHz (with
standard hardware, 2 x Ethernet cards), everything seems to work fine during
boot up but I get a hard error reading (but doesn't occur when the hard
drive is disconnected) - if that error is related to why I can't detect the
system then let me know otherwise it is the last of my worries.

I'm not sure if there should be cross-over cables used or patch cables.

Should there be two Ethernet cards on the system that is running m0n0wall
for network and internet?

Sorry if these are basic questions, but I've tested it out at home and work
and haven't come to any conclusion.

Thanks,

Dallas Freeman