[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Antonios Vakaloudis" <antvak at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] In/out errors
 Date:  Wed, 19 Apr 2006 21:43:59 +0200
Well, it looks lite this, the errors jumped up a bit.

Media 100baseTX <full-duplex>  In/out packets 395615400/301579575
(316.39MB/3.95 GB)  In/out
errors 155/198  Collisions 0
I guess that the errors are not that bad then ? But still, maybe it means
that a nic is a bit broken
somewhere?

On 4/18/06, Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com> wrote:

> On 4/18/06, Antonios Vakaloudis <antvak at gmail dot com> wrote:
> > On the status_interfaces.php, does it show in/out errors for the total
> > uptime?
> > I noticed the In/out errors 153/188 today, and I remember that it was
> 0/0
> > last time
> > I checked.
> > I dont know how much time has passed in between
> >

> More important than time passed is what percentage of total packets
> are errors.  If you have a million packets and 150 errors, I'd keep an
> eye on it but not try to fix it.  If you had 1000 packets and 150
> errors, it's something you need to fix.  Possible causes are duplex
> mismatch (but typically only if you see a pretty high percentage of
> errors), bad cabling, bad NIC, bad switch port, etc.  Typically some
> piece of hardware misbehaving.
>
> -Chris

My GPG signature
http://speedie.mine.nu/gpg/antvak_at_gmail.com_public_GPG.txt