[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] MX support in DNS forwarded
 Date:  Thu, 20 Apr 2006 16:32:27 -0400
On 4/20/06, Josh Simoneau <jsimoneau at lmtcs dot com> wrote:

> Have you tried it with just the A record? Generally (I'm not sure if it
> is an official standard or not, think it is) if an MX record is not
> available for a domain, a mail server will try to deliver to the root A
> record for the domain.

That's indeed part of the SMTP RFC.  I've run mail from an A record
only once in the past because I couldn't have an MX for similar
reasons, and it worked fine at that point (though that was back in the
1990's, shouldn't be much diff today).

from RFC 2821:

The lookup first attempts to locate an MX
   record associated with the name.  If a CNAME record is found instead,
   the resulting name is processed as if it were the initial name.  If
   no MX records are found, but an A RR is found, the A RR is treated as
   if it was associated with an implicit MX RR, with a preference of 0,
   pointing to that host.

As for the original poster's question, that isn't possible in the GUI
at this time, but it might be possible with some hacking.  I'd refer
to the dnsmasq docs, and do some exec.php hacking on m0n0wall.

-Chris