[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Proxy ARP - Server NAT and icmp ping
 Date:  Fri, 21 Apr 2006 16:29:50 -0400
On 4/21/06, Pieterjan Heyse <pieterjan dot heyse at scheppers dash wetteren dot be> wrote:

> but, when I ping 84.199.0.131 I get timeouts, this can make sense,
> because I map the external 131 IP to 2 internal servers.

Because when using server NAT, you can only translate TCP and/or UDP.
The other IP protocols (ICMP, GRE, ...) cannot be used in that type of
a setup.

If you use 1:1 NAT, you can ping.  Or, if you explain why you need
ping, maybe someone can offer an alternative (TCP or UDP ping comes to
mind).

-Chris