[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>, <m0n0wall dash dev at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Multiple m0n0wall management
 Date:  Sat, 22 Apr 2006 12:17:54 -0500
From: "Junior Gillespie" <junior dot gillespie at gmail dot com>

> Hello everyone, I thought I would throw and idea towards you. Would anyone
> be interested in a Win32 Remote Management Application?

> The application would connect to a chosen m0n0wall application, and ask
> for
> access password, then it would fetch the config.xml file. The GUI would
> then
> parse the config file and display in GUI form the config file. The user
> would then be able to make adjustments to the config file and then save
> them
> either locally or remotely back to the m0n0wall unit. The remote save
> would
> save the config file and spawn a reboot to apply the configuration file.
> Reboot sounds horrible, I know, but this helps to error proof a little
> bit.

> Also, the application would allow you to view live traffic on your ports,
> and view other important features maybe like tcpdump snapshots.

I finally got home and could answer.  First, I need this!  I have over 30
out now, and I have trouble keeping up.  I was about to start my own
development, and even posted about it a while back.  Now some input...

Separate the components.  One component to get and put configs from a list.
If it is shell scripting, it can also get version, hardware config, and
captive portal pages and files.  A different component for parsing.  Just
parsing config files offline would be fantastic!

The parsing function should be able to mask, and handle multiple configs.
That way, after you filter interface hardware, names and IP address, you can
push consistent configs.

Don't worry about the platform.  If you make a useful product with clean
easy code, it can be ported.

                        Lee