[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  William Bulley <web at umich dot edu>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Frustrating roadblock during Soekris 4521 install of 1.22
 Date:  Sun, 23 Apr 2006 16:22:29 -0400
This one has me stumped.  It shouldn't be happening, but it is.

I have a Soekrix 4521 that I have used with m0n0wall since the 1.1
days.  I downloaded the Soekris 45xx 1.22 image from one of the USA
mirrors, and as instructed in the "Quick Start" guide for Soekris,
used dd(1) to transfer it to a 64 MB Sandisk CF card.  I use FreeBSD
for my main machine and I checked the md5 checksum and the file size
after download.  I have done these steps numerous times over the last
two or three years...

With the CF card in the 4521 and nothing attached but a null modem
cable from the FreeBSD box running kermit, I powered up the Soekris.

It detects my CF card and passes the memory test of on-board RAM.
After the self test, I see something about PXE followed by about
six lines of what looks like an old fashioned hex dump of memory.
I then see the "hit Ctrl-P in five seconds" message, or wait for
m0n0wall to load.  I wait the five seconds, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0 and
I get a one line "Boot error" message.   :-(

I have no reason to suspect the CF card.  I repeated the above
steps just in case I had fat fingered somethig along the way.
I have no reason to suspect the Soekris box, since it has been
working just fine.  I was SOOOO looking forward to using 1.22!

I don't know where to turn or where to look for the next step.
Can anyone shed any light on what is going on here and how I
can overcome this "Boot error"?

Regards,

web...

--
William Bulley                     Email: web at umich dot edu