[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Alex Neuman van der Hans <alex at nkpanama dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Asterisk@Home with SIP
 Date:  Mon, 24 Apr 2006 17:34:45 -0500
Neil A. Hillard wrote:
> That's like comparing apples and pears!  _IAX_ may well be better as I
> believe it uses a single port and plays better than SIP with NAT.  I'm
> only currently using SIP so I can't say from experience.

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-IAX+versus+SIP

Some info. You can google around for more, but it's pretty well covered.
Don't know from experience either - most voip providers here in my
country will either stick proprietary/confusing/crummy boxes you plug
standard telephones into, or offer H.323 (which is NAT-hostile). *Some*
will provide SIP if you ask nice.