[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Mark Phillips <g7ltt at g7ltt dot com>
 To:  alex at nkpanama dot com
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Asterisk@Home with SIP
 Date:  Mon, 24 Apr 2006 19:22:15 -0400
If you have a choice of IAX or SIP then I'd go with IAX.

In terms of security it's safer as there's less ports to open. It's also
NAT friendly too.

The RTP stuff is handled in the same data stream as the call setup and
so requires less ports opened on your firewall. It also has bandwidth
conservation abilities. Frankly though, for most SOHO and SME uses I
don't think you'd notice the bandwidth savings.

IAX is also useful in that it doesn't often appear on your ISP's "banned
protocols" list. Many SIP users complain that their ISP is adding
significant jitter to any traffic they see aimed at port 5060. Many
providers block it outright in favor of their own ITSP offerings. Yes
it's illegal and the FCC have fined a few of them but with the maximum
fine being only US$5000 it's not much of a deterant.