[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  David Cook <david dot cook at jpcompserv dot co dot uk>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: Really Light Virtualisation
 Date:  Tue, 25 Apr 2006 15:59:21 +0100
Chris Bagnall wrote:
> I'm finding more and more that I need to install a pair of m0n0wall boxes at
> clients' premises, usually where they've got a separate ADSL connection
> purely for VoIP use. The phones simply use the second m0n0wall as the
> default gateway.
>
> Anyway, it's not a particularly friendly use of resources. I know folks are
> running multiple m0n0walls in vmware environments, but is there any
> virtualisation software much lighter than vmware that'd run on a low-spec
> PC? VMware itself isn't really the problem - it's more that in order to run
> it under *nix requires a pretty full install of the *nix in question, with
> all the hardware requirements that entails.
>
> Any alternative suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris

Chris,

Had you had a look at pfSense and the dual-WAN functionality? I haven't
yet had a chance to look at pfSense myself but from what I have seen you
  have the option to profile which IP traffic goes out on each WAN
connection and/or load-balance on a per-connection basis.

I feel a bit guilty for recommending 'the other side' but there seems to
be enough synergy between the projects for me not to cause any offence.
Running everything on one box with one configuration has got to be less
of a headache than getting into virtual firewalls :-).

Best regards
David