[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Bagnall" <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Really Light Virtualisation
 Date:  Tue, 25 Apr 2006 16:03:10 +0100
> Why two internet connections and not a faster connection with
> traffic shaping instead?

One of the problems with ADSL in the UK is that upload is still a *lot*
slower than download. Getting a 2mb ADSL connection is all well and good,
but it'll still only give you a 256k upload. Phone calls are by definition
synchronous, so clients tend to get a 2mb/256k connection for their general
net use, and a 256/256 connection for their phone calls.

Unfortunately, in most of the places our clients are based (i.e. not big
cities), SDSL and Cable simply aren't available, so our options are rather
limited. Even the new 8mb connections that are starting to become available
in some areas only offer an "up to 800k" upload, and based on my early
experience with these, what they're actually getting is half that, if
they're lucky.

Regards,

Chris