[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Feature Request - CF writes counter
 Date:  Tue, 25 Apr 2006 23:40:49 -0400
On 4/25/06, Don Munyak <don dot munyak at gmail dot com> wrote:

> I don't know if this can be done, or even if it is neccessary, but it
> occurred to me while reading an article on CF cards. The article
> mentioned something along the lines of 50,000 writes before
> potentially going bad.

It's more like 300,000-500,000 writes for a typical CF.  If you make
10 config changes a day on average, 365 days a year, that'll last you
somewhere between 82 and 137 years.  Even in an environment with a
significant amount of change, it's likely all of us will die of old
age before the CF would die from overwriting.  :)  It certainly
wouldn't happen in the useful lifetime of today's firewalls.  You'd
have to make a config change about once every 10 minutes, 24/7/365, to
hit 300,000 writes in 5 years.

-Chris