[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jonathan Karras <jkarras at karras dot net>
 To:  g7ltt at g7ltt dot com
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch, fpage at thebetteros dot oche dot de
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Asterisk@Home with SIP
 Date:  Tue, 25 Apr 2006 22:03:37 -0600
Actually

Mark Phillips wrote:
> This advice is WRONG.
>
> You not only need to forward port 5060 but also your RTP ports as well
> (10K to 20K by AAH default). Without any RTP you'll get a call setup
> correctly but no audio will flow.
>
> When using IAX2 you only need forward port 4569 to your Asterisk server.
> You should check with your ITSP which version of IAX he supports. It's
> probably IAX2 (been around since Asterisk V1) but it could be IAX if
> he's on older software (pre V1).

I use Asterisk fine without forwarding the RTP ports. But I also have
mine setup for use with the externIP option. You also have to turn off
reinvite on your SIP extensions. If you don't turn off reinvite on your
sip extension they will attempt to bypass Asterisk with the media
stream. I guess you could leave it on if you setup a different port
range to forward for each device and set the device to only use that
range for RTP.

Asterisk really only works in this setup if both the clients(extensions)
and the server are behind the same NAT. Which is my case. If the
extensions are outside the NAT they must be public IP's. My setup I have
  asterisk and two SIP phones behind M0n0wall. Then I connect to 2 SIP
providers. I also connect to two IAX2 providers they work great with the
  simple one port forwarded through. It also makes it nice because I use
idefisk for my softphone on my laptop when I am traveling. Idefisk is a
small Win32 IAX2 softphone.

http://www.asteriskguru.com/idefisk/

For more Asterisk NAT help see:

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+SIP+NAT+solutions