[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Mark Phillips <g7ltt at g7ltt dot com>
 To:  Jonathan Karras <jkarras at karras dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch, fpage at thebetteros dot oche dot de
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Asterisk@Home with SIP
 Date:  Wed, 26 Apr 2006 16:10:06 -0400
Internally using SIP perhaps. Not externally unless you are using a STUN
server.

Your audio travels in the RTP packets. On the outbound journey they'll
have no problem but on the inbound you should hear nothing.

As part of the SIP call setup you tell the other party what port he
should send his audio to. This port must be open on the firewall in
order to receive the stream.

When using a STUN server the audio from the STUN server to you travels
over the STUN data stream. The audio from the remote end to the STUN
server travels in the normal RTP manner.

It is impossible for you to be able to hear a remote SIP caller unless
you either open your RTP ports up or use a STUN server.

Asterisk doesn't support STUN yet so I don't understand how you are able
to make external calls using SIP without your RTP ports open.