[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Bagnall" <chris at minotaur dot it>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Really Light Virtualisation
 Date:  Tue, 25 Apr 2006 15:45:41 +0100
I'm finding more and more that I need to install a pair of m0n0wall boxes at
clients' premises, usually where they've got a separate ADSL connection
purely for VoIP use. The phones simply use the second m0n0wall as the
default gateway.

Anyway, it's not a particularly friendly use of resources. I know folks are
running multiple m0n0walls in vmware environments, but is there any
virtualisation software much lighter than vmware that'd run on a low-spec
PC? VMware itself isn't really the problem - it's more that in order to run
it under *nix requires a pretty full install of the *nix in question, with
all the hardware requirements that entails.

Any alternative suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards,

Chris