[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] External AP vs Internal card?
 Date:  Mon, 1 May 2006 10:11:50 -0500
From: "Paul Dugas" <paul at dugas dot cc>

> I've got a Soekris 4800 at a site that want's to add WiFi support.  I've
> considering attaching an external AP to the unused 3rd Ethernet interface
> or installing a card in the unused mini-PCI slot.  While I believe the
> external AP approach will be simpler to install and cheaper (I think), I'm
> wondering about the managability side of things.  I've never used the AP
> feature within m0n0.  The WiFi will only be used to access the WAN and to
> VPN into the LAN.  We'll use WEP but nothing more complicated than that.

I had to count again to be sure... :-)  I have 34 m0n0walls in production
right now, and three in my trunk waiting to install.  All (but 1) have
wireless connectivity.  None have a wireless card.  The AP is the way to go.
Just make sure you get one that passes MAC or Captive Portal will not work
right.

                        Lee