[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Jeppe Oland" <uxorious at acon dot dezign dot dk>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Re: Traffic Shaping question (Pipe within pipe?)
 Date:  Mon, 1 May 2006 23:11:38 -0700
> No, you cannot have pipes within pipes. You can have a queu
> within a pipe and if you can identify 'hated' traffic then
> just direct it to a 'hated' queue.  That should do what you want.

It doesn't do what I want.

Let's say I have a 1.5 Mbit line.
I create a pipe with something like 1.4 Mbit available downstream.

Now when P2P is going on, lots of external machines will start bombarding me
with as much data as they think I can handle. This means they will
continuously send a little too much - then back off - then up again.
If a sufficient number of machines are doing this, the full line bandwith
will be consumed, and there's nothing the Shaper can do to prevent it.

This is why I would like 2 pipes. If I could create a 1.4 Mbit pipe for
regular traffic, and a 1 Mbit pipe for P2P traffic *within* the 1.4 Mbit
main pipe, then the line would have more room to deal with lots and lots of
incoming traffic.

Of course having a Shaper at the ISP side of the line would be the best
solution - but I don't know any ISP's offering that. :-(

Regards,
-Jeppe