[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Jeppe Oland" <uxorious at acon dot dezign dot dk>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Traffic Shaping question (Pipe within pipe?)
 Date:  Sun, 30 Apr 2006 09:20:56 -0700
I am having an issue with the Traffic Shaper.
It's doing an awesome job under normal conditions, but recently I have been
seeing a lot of download traffic on the line, and this causes problems for
the shaper.

I assume that the problems stem from the fact that the shaper can't really
control what comes down the line. It can only monitor the amount of traffic,
and use regular TCP/IP measures to make hosts back off when there is too
much traffic.

With P2P traffic though, a LOT of machines will be sending data towards it,
and all of them just don't back off fast enough.

Of course, if I lower the line capacity in the shaper (by a pretty large
margin), everything works fine again - but that's not really a solution
since that cuts the global traffic - even for nice users.

Is it possible to create a "pipe within a pipe"?
That way I could create a Download pipe for the entire line capacity, and
then a pipe within that of say 80% capacity - this pipe would be where the
"Hated" download queue would go.

Anything like that possible in m0n0?

Regards,
-Jeppe