[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Tortise <tortise at paradise dot net dot nz>
 To:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch, Ryan at wgnrs dot dynu dot com
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] CD Boot Problem - SOLVED
 Date:  Mon, 01 May 2006 23:19:14 +1200
For anyone interested, I got an Addonics CF card, (model ADIDECF) used the PCI version (comes with
3.5" and PCI options) and plugged
it in and it worked right up first time.  Other more sophisticated PC card sockets did not work.  I
had an old 16M CF card, which is
seems fine.

Much easier than mucking around trying to get old BIOS / incompatible CDROM drives to work together
and boot.

Also it was not obvious to me that the 3.5" floppy drive also becomes obsolete.  Backing up and
restoring over the LAN seems to work
well, meaning I can create another firewall relatively easily and quickly, should the need arise.
(Basically that means the CPU fan
dies without me knowing and it cooks!)

I like it as the number of mechanical devices that eventually fail are no longer there to do so.
(The floppy drive, HDD and CDROM)
Only the Power Supply and CPU fans will need occasional maintenance now.

Thank you for your assistance.

I hope this helps some one else.

Now if only I could get the internal LAN to behave like external URL's that route into the LAN!

Kind regards

David Hingston