[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Jeroen Visser" <monowall at forty dash two dot nl>
 To:  "Jurgen van Vliet" <jurgenvv at xs4all dot nl>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Performance with many concurrent connections trough trafficshaper
 Date:  Fri, 5 May 2006 12:14:11 +0200
Jurgen,

Currently I'm running m0n0wall as a firewall for 1500+ workstations. Trafficshaper
is enabled (almost the default setting from the shaper wizard) to put P2P traffic
on the lowest of priorities. I have not run into any memory problems sofar, but I
cannot tell you how many connections there are. Must be a lot, because I've got
600+ homeusers in the 1500+ pool.

The firewall is a pentium4 CPU with 512 MB memory, all Intel NICs. I had the
kern.ipc.nmbclusters=32768, but this was not nessecary. (lost the settings after
an upgrade). Memory usage never was above 25% (manual checks only), it is
currently at 8%. I cannot graph the memory usage, don't know why yet.

See some graphs here....
Traffic: http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/8356/trafficinternet9oi.png
CPU: http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/4025/cpuusage5cp.png

Oh and I user version 1.22 by the way.

Gr,
Jeroen Visser

On Fri, 5 May 2006 09:25:26 +0200, Jurgen van Vliet wrote