[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "C. Andrew Zook" <andrewzook at pdqlocks dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  MTU on VPN
 Date:  Fri, 05 May 2006 08:31:02 -0400
Does changing the MTU on the WAN interface have any effect on the MTU
over an IPSEC VPN tunnel?

How about changing the MTU of the LAN interface of the M0n0wall on the
exec.php page with a "ifconfig eth0 mtu 1300"?

Additionally, how does one determine the optimal MTU for transport over
the tunnel? Is a "ping -f -l 1472" from a DOS prompt sufficient, or will
this just get split up and reassembled - thus providing a false reading?

I am having a lot of trouble with VPN slowness at one of my locations. I
just can't figure out why my ping times are good, I am only getting .15%
packet loss, but things are still much slower than the other locations.

Thanks for any help!
Andy