[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] [hardware question] Is it that much difference true ?
 Date:  Sun, 7 May 2006 22:42:19 -0500
From: "Dr Who" <brokenby2703 at gmail dot com>

> Well, to make a short story, I've moved house and I did plan to setup a
> new
> network @ home for a few PC.
> My old firewall PC (ibm pc300 gl) it looks too bulky & big to fit in the
> new
> study room.
> So I went to dedust a spare Soekris 4501 that I reserved last time in the
> eventuality.
> I did setup everything but I saw a slower response in webgui interface and
> few other minor annoying things.

> The IBM is using 2x 3com PCI card (xl0/xl1) just for LAN/WAN (PPPoE over
> ADSL modem/bridge)

The 3com cards are very good.  That and Intel are about the best you can
get.  The builtin on the soekris are not quite as nice, and that is your
primary difference.  So, it will be slower.  You may want to look for a
cheap small form factor PC if you will be heavily loading it, as the ram is
marginal now.

                        Lee