[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] [hardware question] Is it that much difference true ?
 Date:  Mon, 8 May 2006 00:44:09 -0400
On 5/7/06, Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org> wrote:

> The 3com cards are very good.  That and Intel are about the best you can
> get.  The builtin on the soekris are not quite as nice, and that is your
> primary difference.  So, it will be slower.

That could explain a difference, if we were talking about some
reasonable top end on the 4501.  The top end of a 4501 is WAY more
than 90 KB/s.

The GUI difference can be attributed to the fact that you're comparing
a Pentium 133 to a 486 133.  I don't know exactly how much of a
difference that actually makes, but a P133 is definitely faster than a
486 133.

As for the download speeds, a 4501 can hit 17 Mbps, which is
substantially more than any of your numbers show.  The difference can
likely be attributed to the load of the download site, or your ISP, or
something of that nature.  It's nearly impossible to properly compare
two firewalls, performance-wise, using any sort of Internet transfers.
 Hook up two machines, one on each side of the firewall, and use
something like iperf to see how much you can push through it.

With an Internet connection of 10 Mb or less, a 4501 isn't going to
slow you down at all.  I can peg my 6 Mb cable modem without any
trouble on a 4501, with even the most firewall-taxing traffic, like
BitTorrent.   That's ~750 KBytes/sec.

Just to make sure you don't have anything going on with the 4501
that's limiting your throughput, check your Status -> Interfaces page
for any errors on the interfaces.  You could have a performance issue
with the 4501 caused by bad cabling, a duplex mismatch, flaky NIC, or
something of that nature.

-Chris