[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  "Grant Robinson" <jgrantr at gmail dot com>
 To:  "m0n0wall list" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Public LAN IP's with WAN IP on a different subnet
 Date:  Mon, 8 May 2006 13:44:35 -0600
On 5/8/06, Shaun Sutterfield <shaun at prointegrations dot com> wrote:
> Grant Robinson wrote:
> > What I have not tried is the bridging, but it sounds like one side of
> > the bridge needs to not have an IP address, which is not really what I
> > am looking for here.
> I think bridging *is* what you're looking for.  This is how I set it up
> at one of my client's sites whose WAN IP was within the same subnet as
> his LAN. (well, actually in his case it's OPT1, he uses NAT on his LAN)
> You are right that with bridging only one interface will have an IP, but
> that just means M0n0 will use the same IP (the WAN IP) on both
> interfaces.  Is there a particular reason you need M0n0 to have two IPs
> in the same subnet?

But see, they are not in the same subnet.  They aren't even close.
The WAN IP address is and the LAN IP address is  The subnet is being routed by the
ISP to, and so the m0n0 box needs both IP addresses, as will be used as the default gateway for all the boxes
on the subnet.  Does that make sense?

Grant Robinson
jgrantr at gmail dot com