[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  "m0n0wall list" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Public LAN IP's with WAN IP on a different subnet
 Date:  Mon, 8 May 2006 17:33:23 -0400
On 5/8/06, Grant Robinson <jgrantr at gmail dot com> wrote:

> So, basically this is a /27 subnet that is being routed to the WAN IP
> address.  I can ping the WAN IP address just find from anywhere, but I
> cannot ping the LAN IP address (the m0n0wall IP address) from the
> outside world.  I can ping the boxes on the LAN subnet from the
> m0n0wall box, and the boxes on the LAN subnet can ping the LAN IP
> address of the m0n0wall box, but nothing outside of the subnet.
>
> I am sure there is some sort of routing problem, but I have been
> unable to figure out what it is.

From what you describe, I'd be willing to bet it is a routing issue,
and on your ISP's end.  It sounds like they probably aren't actually
routing that subnet to your WAN IP.

You can try doing a traceroute from the Internet somewhere to your WAN
IP, and another to one of your LAN IP's.  I'm guessing the LAN IP's
aren't going to end up taking the same path (after a point).

In this situation, it's definitely best to route and not bridge.

-Chris