[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Don Munyak" <don dot munyak at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Robert Lindsley" <me at robertlindsley dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] M0n0wall with Netgear GA311
 Date:  Tue, 9 May 2006 01:04:18 -0400
On 5/8/06, Robert Lindsley <me at robertlindsley dot com> wrote:
> I have two NICs, a Netgear GA311 and a RealTek 8139.  From what the
> bootup sequence looks like, the RealTek card is being give the ID of
> rl0.  But it doesn't seem to recognize the GA311.  I don't know if
> this is important, but when I plug the network cable into the Netgear
> card, it lights up (seemingly) correctly.
>
> My bigger problem is that I keep getting a "No up-link detected"
> error when I try to autodetect.  So, I thought I would try and type
> in the interface name directly, at which point I came upon this
> discovery.  I think it might be related, but I'm not sure.  I have
> searched the forums, but haven't yet found anything helpful.
>
> Is there anything I need to do to get m0n0wall to recognize the
> Netgear card?  Or is there something else that I am missing?

The card you have is a gigabit card. I did not see it listed in the
FreeBSD Hardware compatability list. But I could have missed it.

Check out this wiki page for gigbit cards supported by FreeBSD ver
4.11, which is what m0n0wall is built on.

http://wiki.m0n0.ch/wikka.php?wakka=GigabitCards

Aslo http://www.freebsd.org should be a bookmark. Welcome to m0n0wall
and good luck. Use ebay for hardware purchases...especially during the
learning curve. It will save you money.

~ Don