[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  "MonoWall-General List" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] changing ethernet cards
 Date:  Sat, 6 May 2006 15:50:14 -0500
From: "jan gestre" <m0n0wall dot list at gmail dot com>

> i have monowall installed and running for quite some time now without any
> problems, however when i installed it i used old and slow ethernet cards,
> now that we purchased a new and faster ethernet cards i want to replaced
> the
> old ones. i'm afraid to mess up the working configuration especially my
> DMZ/NAT services, if you were me guys, what would be the first card that i
> should replace? WAN? LAN? DMZ?

Since you just bought them, I assume you bought 3 of the same card.  And I
also assume the old cards were whatever was laying around.  Unless you know
how your motherboard numbers things, picking which is card one, and which is
card two can be non-intuitive. :-)  Therefore, shut down, and swap all the
cards.  Come up with a console (monitor and keyboard)  and autodetect LAN
and WAN.  If your DMZ is still called OPT1, your can auto that.  If not,
skip it.  Go into the LAN port and assign the DMZ to the card that is left.
Done.

Note:  A backup config is always a good thing to have around...  Not just
for changes.

                        Lee