[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Jim Spaloss" <jspaloss at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Comcast Business Installation.
 Date:  Tue, 9 May 2006 23:57:11 -0400
On 5/9/06, Tom <tjmitch1 at yahoo dot com> wrote:

> Not really a direct monowall Issue. Just wondering if anyone has had the
> fun or
> dread of installing a Monowall box with Comcast Business Static IP setup
> and a
> SMC 8013WG. Any points whould be helpful. We all know when you call
> Comcast
> Support kinda like rolling the dice on what you get.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> tom

Tom,

I have a few clients with this particular setup. The SMC router can quite
finicky and certain things can vary greatly with firmware. In most cases,
Comcast usually gives you a DHCP reservation, not a real static IP, so the
only way to get around the NAT that the SMC router forces on you is to put
m0n0 in the "DMZ".

I did run across 2 instances where they actually did give a static IP and I
was able to avoid the NAT nonsense, but I wouldn't expect it.

Other issues I encountered were PPTP issues (because some firmware versions
don't allow you to disable the SMC's built in PPTP server), and one
particular older firmware ( 2.11.14) that had a nasty habit of disabling its
own DMZ for no reason whatsoever, bringing down your VPN or whatever else
you might be serving. Save the settings (no changes necessary) and the
problem is fixed. I haven't seen that older firmware in a while so I
wouldn't worry too much about that.

In case you didn't know, the default IP LAN IP address for the SMC is
10.1.10.1, the default Username is "cusadmin" and that password is
"highspeed". If you want/need your firmware upgraded, you have to beg
Comcast to do it, because the SMC's UI doesn't allow you to.

I hope this helps,

Thanks,
Jim